The project requested by Globalvía, concessionaire of the section of metro line 8 from Barajas to Terminal 4 of Madrid Airport, was to analyze and quantify the effect on the line’s demand and the concessionaire’s revenue, of various changes in the transport supply (tariffs and lines) made from the Transport Regulator since the concession tender to present; and the effect of the evolution of demand in the Barajas airport.
The methodology used aimed to:
- Identify each factor that may have contributed to the decline in the expected demand for the T4 airport terminal metro station;
- Quantify the effect of each of the factors, based on the best information available;
- Explain the arguments and results in a clear and understandable way for anyone without previous experience in demand studies.
The factors identified as most relevant in decreasing the expected demand were:
- Tariff increase, from the additional 25% of a single ticket tariff to the current price;
- Tariff policy, specifically changes in the distribution of transport tickets;
- Effect of the train station RENFE suburban, etc …